Thursday, January 1, 2009

A NEW YEAR

Seems like such an overused term: Happy New Year. Yet, we say it over and over again, each and every year as we say good bye to one year and hello to the beginning of a new one. I've always found it interesting how we mark time this way, always an ending, always a beginning. Yet we know time is a constant, always there. We seem to feel the need to segment everything, put it in it's little box. Maybe it's so we can feel that the slate is clean, anything bad will be over and a fresh beginning is in order. That's not such a bad thing and if that's what it takes to lift the spirits, then why not?

I myself feel the need to make new resolutions, new starts. I'd like to lose weight, like so many others. I'd like to be more organized. I'd like to spend less money, be less materialistic. I'd like to spend more time being creative. I'd like to spend more time with my family. I'd like to take more time to see the needs of others and to do what I can to help them.

Maybe marking the start of a new year IS a good thing: it reminds us that there is always room for improvement, that we need to stop and reflect on the way our life is going and perhaps re-evaluate how we are living.

My new years wish for you is this: May you find yourself considering all the things you've done in your life and letting the things that mean nothing go by the wayside. May you remember to cherish the truly valuable gifts you've been given: your family, friends, the world you live in. May you remember to thank God each day for all you experience and all you are able to learn, and for the grace you are offered in light of all your shortfalls. May you be blessed with a peace you've never experienced before and may you share that with others.

In my playlist, there's a song by Brandon Heath called Give Me Your Eyes. Listen to it. Really listen to it. Then ask God to give you His eyes and spend your "New" year looking around you.

No comments: